Friday, 1 October 2010

Woodstock Valley, Connecticut


Woodstock Valley, Connecticut
Originally uploaded by stephenlamb

About three hours ago, we returned home from our journey to the United States. It was my first visit to the country. We stayed at Woodstock Valley in Connecticut at the home of a very kind and hospitable friend. This photograph was taken about fifteen minutes walk from her home. It is the Glenn Kovaciny Memorial Beach.

I did upload a few of the photographs that I took in the States to Flickr while I was there but I took many others. I will upload a selection to Flickr over the coming days. We visited Concord, Lexington, Hartford, Sturbridge, Mystic Port, Vermont, New York, Newport and Boston amongst many other places. The weather in the first week that we were there was remarkably hot - well over 25C most days. In the second week, it was cooler with rain and heavy cloud which meant that I did not take as many photographs as I would have liked.

One problem that I had with taking photographs of buildings was trying to cope with the fact that in most towns the electrical power and telegraph cables are suspended between poles above ground rather than being buried. Many potentially good viewpoints of buildings are spoiled by this. I was determined to exclude them as much as I could which resulted in some buildings being photographed from odd angles - alternatively I tried to concentrate on details.

No comments: