Sunday, 1 August 2010

Wheeldale Moor, North York Moors


Wheeldale Moor, North York Moors
Originally uploaded by stephenlamb

I have a large collection of 35 mm negatives of photographs taken between about 1980 and 2007 when I switched to a digital SLR. I have decided that I need to liberate these negatives from the large black binders in which they have been imprisoned for several years. I do not know how many there are - it must be thousands. Most of them are probably dreadful but I am hoping that there a few that are worth editing and uploading to Flickr.

I am using an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner to scan the negatives. Until today I had never used it for this purpose before. It is a slow process - taking about 50 minutes to process two strips of negatives. At present I am using the software supplied by Epson but I am planning to use Vue Scan instead. This should allow me to output RAW files and so give me more editing opportunities.

The photograph shown here is my "proof of concept" image. It proves that I can get the process to work. I need to play around with the process for a bit before I embark seriously on digitising my negatives.

As for this photograph, it would have been taken on a holiday in the North York Moors about 20 years ago. Wheeldale Moor is an old Roman Road which crosses the Moors. One of the fun things about this project is going to be that I will not know when photographs were taken - or sometimes have much idea of what they are. I have kept the negatives safe but neglected to label them with dates, locations or occasion. This is going to be something of a voyage of discovery.
I will record my progress here....

No comments: